The Fluid Data architecture, designed to enable customers to manage more information more effectively, is strengthened today with new offerings that include Dell’s first deduplication backup appliance that integrates intellectual property from the Ocarina acquisition; a major software release for Compellent storage arrays; a new storage optimization solution for Microsoft SharePoint; and broader support for Dell Force10, PowerConnect and Brocade storage networking solutions.
“Today’s IT organisations are moving faster than ever down a road that is constantly changing. That’s why their data needs to be as dynamic as their business,” said Darren Thomas, vice president and general manager, Dell Enterprise Storage. “With Dell’s new primary, archive and backup storage solutions, the Dell Fluid Data architecture delivers the storage intelligence customers need to deal with a sea of constant IT change without driving up costs, wasting time or continually replacing infrastructure.”
New Dell DR4000 Storage Platform with Deduplication and Compression
Customers continue to augment or replace traditional backup and recovery environments with disk-based solutions for their speed, access and reliability.
The DR4000 combines the performance and reliability of disk-based backup with innovative deduplication and compression capabilities from Dell’s Ocarina Networks acquisition. These capabilities eliminate multiple copies of the same data and enable customers to keep more data online longer and readily available in the event of a disaster or data loss event.
By keeping data online for weeks or even months before moving it to archive storage, customers can more easily locate and restore important data, creating new efficiencies and helping to reduce the total cost of ownership for their storage infrastructure.
The DR4000 is ideal for small- and medium-sized organisations as well as remote offices of large enterprises in need of a disk-based backup solution that can:
· Eliminate redundant copies of data by decreasing disk capacity requirements up to 15 times
· Reduce dependence on tape backup
· Reduce bandwidth requirements for data transfer by up to 15 times
· Reduce backup storage costs to as low as $0.25/GB list pricing
· Reduce the footprint of backup delivering power and cooling savings in the datacentre
The DR4000, available in 40TB, 81TB or 135TB effective storage capacities in a single appliance, features inline deduplication and compression, deduplicated replication, advanced data protection, and non-disruptive deployment, certified with leading backup software applications.
In addition to excellent data reduction capabilities, the DR4000 can reduce storage costs over time through an all-inclusive software licensing model that allows customers to leverage all of the DR4000 current and future product capabilities without incurring additional licensing costs.
New Dell Compellent Storage Center 6.0
The new Dell Compellent Storage Center 6.0 software includes new 64-bit support that doubles memory size to improve performance and scale. With its advanced tiering, thin provisioning and replication features, the modular design of the Dell Compellent SAN enables datacentres to improve cost savings by upgrading to the new firmware and implement future product releases without requiring a rip-and-replace process. The new Dell Compellent firmware enables customers to take advantage of future Compellent software advancements while improving performance with existing solutions.
Storage Center 6.0 also expands Dell and VMware’s long-standing integration and engineering collaboration to help customers accelerate their move to dynamic datacentres and cloud computing environments. Together, Dell and VMware provide the core framework for a virtualized data center and storage solutions that meet joint customer needs. Extending its existing Dell EqualLogic and PowerVault application integration for VMware vSphere 5 ®, Dell today introduced new VMware specific enhancements for Dell Compellent storage customers including:
· Dell Compellent VMware vSphere™ Storage APIs for Array Integration offers full copy offload and hardware-assisted locking features that extend Compellent’s existing support for block zeroing. These features speed deployment of virtual machines up to 40 percent faster*, free up network and hosting resources and improve storage performance for data volumes shared by multiple virtual machines.
· Dell Compellent Storage Replication Adapter (SRA) for Site Recovery Manager 5 is available for download with support for new SRM 5 features such as automated failback from a disaster and new work flows for planned migration and downtime. Dell Compellent continues its OEM relationship with VMware for SRM 5, allowing all disaster recovery hardware and software support to be provided by the Dell Compellent Copilot support organisation.
· Dell Compellent vSphere 5 Client Plug-In and Enterprise Manager-vSphere 5 Integration allows VMware software users to efficiently manage Compellent virtualized pools of storage resources from either the VMware vSphere 5 or Compellent Enterprise Manager console, giving the ability to reduce administration time.
New Dell Solution for Microsoft SharePoint Infrastructure Optimization
Dell also announced a comprehensive solution to help customers optimize their Microsoft SharePoint infrastructure through improved data and storage management. The New Dell Solution for Microsoft SharePoint Infrastructure Optimization consists of Dell DX storage, Dell Microsoft SharePoint assessment, design, and deployment services and AvePoint® DocAve® software. The offering delivers comprehensive and integrated solutions for SharePoint lifecycle management and migration, which can result in improved capacity utilisation, performance, business continuity and compliance.
The Dell solution addresses three key sets of customer challenges:
· Proactive capacity planning and management, to drive better storage efficiency and up to 40** percent faster increased application performance
· Business continuity to ensure consistent backups of the entire SharePoint infrastructure improving backup up to 29 times and recovery times up to 32 times
· Flexible and scalable data governance through automated archiving.
Expanded Support for Dell Force10, Dell PowerConnect and Brocade Storage Networking Solutions
Dell is focused on speeding storage deployment, increasing performance and simplifying administration through improved interoperability with Dell Force10 and Dell PowerConnect Ethernet solutions and Brocade 16Gb Fibre Channel switches.
Providing more choice to EqualLogic users, Dell has added the Dell Force10 S4810 10Gb Ethernet switch and the deep-buffer S60 1Gb/10Gb Ethernet switches to the validated component list. EqualLogic customers can also reduce deployment time with auto-recognition and auto-configuration features delivered in select Dell PowerConnect switches.
To help automate Compellent array implementations, the Dell PowerConnect 8024 10Gb switches and M8024-k Blade IO modules provide technology that can reduce multi-step switch configuration to a single command.
By combining Dell's Fluid Data architecture with Brocade's 16Gb Fibre Channel infrastructure, Dell Compellent customers can realise flexibility, reliability and simplicity for their SAN environments to support next-generation applications and services within highly-virtualized, cloud-optimised environments. The Brocade DCX 8510 is a powerful SAN backbone that simplifies scale-out network design to reduce network complexity, management, and costs, while helping maximise overall port density and space utilisation through massive consolidation of legacy SANs. The Brocade 6510 switch provides exceptional price/performance value and enables “pay-as-you-grow” scalability with 24 to 48 ports for on-demand flexibility. Both will be available from Dell this month and are certified for Compellent arrays.
Tags: Server Virtualization, Storage Virtualization, I/O Virtualization, Network Virtualization, Desktop Virtualization, VMware, Hyper-V, Citrix, RedHat